YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

4TH-2ND MILLENNIA BC


Shengavit settlement is an ancient settlement, an archaeological monument of the Kura Araxes culture. It is located in the southwestern part of the city in the Shengavit region. One of the most important archaeological monuments of Armenia from the Early Bronze Age.

2ND MILLENNIA BC


In 1986, on the right bank of the Hrazdan River which flows through the city, archeologists found Karmir Berd (Red Castle) which dates back to the 2nd millennium BC.

2ND-1ST MILLENNIA BC


Archeologists found Aghvesaberd (Fox Castle) cyclopean masonry dates back to the 2nd-1st millennia BC. Aghvesaberd is situated in Nor Nork 1st massive, not far from the Yerevan Zoo, in the Avan Gorge.

7TH CENTURY BC


Karmir Blur was the capital of the Transcaucasian provinces of the ancient kingdom of Urartu. The whole area was under development. Irrigation canals were dug, artificial storage ponds were created, and Teyshebayini fortress on Karmir Blur (Red Hill) was founded.

782 BC


In the southeastern part of the modern capital, King Argishti I founded the fortress town of Erebuni, the capital city of the Van Kingdom (Urartu), "to show the power of the country and to frighten enemies".

11TH CENTURY AD


City became an important trading center, directly connected to Ani, Armenia's capital city at the time. Prince Apirat ordered the construction of the Mamri irrigation channel (1031).

13TH CENTURY AD


St. Astvatsatsin (Katoghike) Church was founded. A chapel was erected in the place where the remains of Saint Anania were buried in the 7th century. This is now St. Zoravor (Almighty) Church on Parpetsi Street.

1265


The Amenaprkich khachkar (cross stone) was erected in Kanaker in 1265. It is among the few that withstood the devastating earthquake of 1679.

1513-1735


During Ottoman-Persian Wars Yerevan “changed hands” 14 times. Western Armenia fell into the neighboring Ottoman hands, while Eastern Armenia stayed part of Safavid Iran.

1603


The Safavid army then laid siege to Yerevan on 15 November. The Persian army of Shah Abbas I conquered the Yerevan fortress after 9 months of siege, whereas the other towns of the Eastern Caucasus surrendered to the Shah with practically no resistance. Hundreds of thousands of Armenians, including residents of Yerevan, were taken captive and sent to Persia.

1652-1705


A wealthy Erivan resident, Khodja Grigor, installed a supply of spring water from the upper parts of the Getar River to the Old District (nowadays, the center of Abovyan Street). Vardapet Hovhannes allocated money to construct a stone bridge over the Getar River. Khodja Panos started the construction of St. Zoravar in the place of the dilapidated Anania Chapel.

1679


On June 4, a strong earthquake completely destroyed the town. The Yerevan Fortress was destroyed completely, so were the following churches: Poghos-Petros, Katoghike, Zoravor and the Gethsemane Chapel.

1679-1680


Kanaker resident Khoja Plav reconstructed the Karmir (Red) Bridge, one of the three bridges over 1804-1813 the Hrazdan River. The bridge was named "red" because it was built of red tuff.

1765-1766


Еrivan Khanate ruler Huseyn Ali Khan, erected the town's largest mosque, Geok Jami (Blue Mosque). At the beginning of the 20th century, it was one of seven functioning mosques in Erivan. Restoration of the mosque in 1996-1999 was financed by Iran.

1826-1828


During the 2nd Russian-Persian war of 1826-1828, in October 1827, General Paskevich captured the Erivan fortress. On February 10, 1828 an agreement was signed in the Iranian village of Turkmenchay, according to which Persia ceded the Erivan and Nakhichevan khanates to Russia Empire.

1843


Coat of arms of the Russian Empire of the city of Erivan with an official description in the Winkler's Armorial.

1850


In Yerevan the female school was opened on January 2 and named in honour to St. Hripsime.

1860s


The English Park is one of the oldest parks in the city of Yerevan, dating back to the 1860s. It was frequently renovated until World War I, with a major renovation in 1910.

1857


The first pharmacy was opened, which belonged to the Shakhnazarov. Construction began on a fountain in the town park.

1860


Erivan was divided into 7 districts: Kond, Shagar, Damirbulag (Shorbulag, Shorakhbyur), Dzoragyugh, Nortax, Malakani-tagh and Nork.

1863


According to the General plan of 1856, the main street was constructed and named Astafyevskaya, after the governor (today, Abovyan Street).

1866


Stage coaches, multi-seat carriages pulled by horses and carrying both passengers and mail, began to regularly shuttle from Erivan to Tbilisi and Kutaisi.

1866


On April 10,1866, the second female school after St. Gayane was opened in Yerevan.

1874


Yerevan's first publishing house opened. It belonged to Zahariya Gevorkyan.

1877


Erivan officially received the status of a town and the construction of Tairov's Wine and Brandy Factory began in the place of the Yerevan Fortress.

1879


The construction of Erivan's first town hall began, as did the construction of the city's first theatre.

1880


Yerevan's first newspaper was "Psak" ("The Wreath"), which was first published on March 15, 1880.

1883


The Yerevan Hotel (now "Grand Hotel Yerevan") and the photo studio and workshop of famous photographer Leon from Tbilisi, opened on Astafyevskaya (nowadays Abovyan) Street.

1886


Ethnographic map of the Erivan Governorate.

1887


In 1887, Nerses Tairyan started producing cognac in Yerevan.

1892-1893


The first mineral water and lemonade factory was established in Erivan, as well as the first city hospital.

1902


In 1902, the first railway line passed through Erivan, connecting it with Alexandropol (present-day Gyumri) and Tiflis.

1906


The first line of the Erivan horse railroad began started operating, at first along Astafyevskaya (nowadays Abovyan) Street, and later to the railway station.

1907


The Shustov & Sons Company set in operation the first power plant on the Hrazdan River.

1913


Administrative divisions map of Erivan province as of 1913.

1913


The first telephone station began operating. It was operating only for 80 people.

1913


The demonstration flight of the "Blerio" plane was organized in the square, between the rampart and the Orthodox graveyard.

1912-1913


It’s said that the first vehicle appeared in the city. It was brought from Tbilisi. Name of the first driver was Vardan, although in the city he was known as Mashti.

1917


Cognac can be bought in the store of the Yerevan Cognac Factory with the permission of the police.

1917


The year of foundation of the first automobile park of Yerevan.

1918


On May 28, Yerevan was declared the capital city of the First Independent Republic of Armenia.

1919


"Yerevan State University" was established.

1920


Republic Square in the 1920s.

1920


The plan of the Yerevan in 1920 by M.Astvatsatryan. The map depicts Yerevan as it looked before the implementation of the master plan for the reconstruction of the city by architect Alexander Tamanyan (in 1924-1936), which changed the character of the city from a regional center to a major capital.

1921


On 9 September 1919, the National Assembly of Armenia founded the History Museum of Armenia. The museum opened to visitors on August 20, 1921. Its first director was Yervand Lalayan.

1921


The National Gallery of Armenia was founded by the decision of the Soviet Armenian Government, as the Art Department, one of the five departments of the State Museum.

1924


The general plan of Yerevan was created by Alexander Tamanyan. The plan was updated in 1932.

1933


The first tram began operating in Yerevan.

1933


The Opera and Ballet Theater launched with "Almast" opera, by Alexander Spendiarov.

1935


The Yerevan Botanical Garden was founded.

1936


The town name Erivan, which was its Russian name, was officially replaced with Yerevan.

1936


The Children's Railroad was built in the Hrazdan Gorge.

1936


Moscow Cinema was built in the place of St. Poghos-Petros (Paul and Peter) Church.

1956


The building of the current Yerevan railway station was built in 1956, the opening took place on July 22.

1956


Armenian television started its first broadcast.

1941


The Yerevan Zoo was established in the city.

1950


During the excavations of Arin Berd hill in 1950, the cuneiform inscription of King Argishti I of the Kingdom of Van was discovered, according to which Argishti I founded the fortress city of Erebuni in BC in the year 782.

1957


Bronze monuments of Hovhannes Tumanyan and Alexander Spendiarov (sculptors Ara Sarkisyan and Ghukas Chubaryan) were erected on the Opera Square.

1958


The construction of a complex of buildings in Lenin Square (architects Alexander Tamanyan, Rafo Israelyan) and the Matenadaran repository for ancient manuscripts (architect Mark Grigoryan) which rose above Lenin Avenue (present-day Mashtots) was completed.

1959


The opening of the David of Sassoun statue (sculptor Yervand Kochar) took place in the square near the railway station.

1959


The buildings of the Matenadaran, the Covered Market and the National Academy of Sciences were built.

1961


Тhe 1st terminal of the airport was built, which has not survived.

1967


A monument to the victims of the Armenian Genocide was built on Tsitsernakaberd Hill.

1968


Yerevan residents and guests celebrated the city's 2750th anniversary. The Erebuni museum was opened at the foot of Arin Berd hill. Armenian weavers created the famous Erebuni carpet and the Yerevan Experimental Tobacco Factory started the production of "Arin Berd" and "Erebuni" cigarettes, which became very popular.

1970


The Ani Hotel was opened. It is named after the medieval Armenian city of Ani, one of the historical capitals of the Armenian nation.

1971


Hrazdan Sport Stadium was built in the Hrazdan Gorge.

1971


Yerevan Museum of Modern Art opened on Lenin Avenue (now Mastots avenue).

1971


Start of construction of "Cascade" complex.

1976-1987


The Sports and Concert Complex was built on Tsitsernakaberd hill.

1981


The first line of the Yerevan subway was opened on 7 March.

1991


On September 21, Yerevan was proclaimed the capital city of independent Armenia.

1991


Vladimir Lenin's monument was dismantled, prior to the independence of Armenia. The statue was erected in 1940.

2004


The new administrative building of Yerevan Municipality was commissioned (architect: J.Torosyan).

2007


On March 23, the "Moscow House" cultural and business center was opened in Yerevan.

2007


In May, The new complex of "Zvartnots" International Airport was opened.

2007


On November 16, the official opening ceremony of Northern Avenue took place, the construction of which began in 2002.

2008


On September 29, Two very important road construction junctions for Yerevan were put into operation: the underground passage from Abovyan Park to Myasnikyan Avenue and the adjacent roads to the Saralanj Highway.

2008


On December 13, the opening of the William Saroyan Monument at the adjacent area of the Mashtots Avenue and Moskovyan Street crossroad took place.

2009


On January 20, House-museum of great poetess S.Kaputikyan was opened on the day of her 90th birth anniversary in Yerevan.

2009


On November 7, the "Cafesjian" Centre for the Arts was opened.

2010


On May 24, the underground parking for 500 cars built under Yerevan Freedom Square was opened.

2011


On August 14, the solemn opening of first "TUMO" Center for Creative Technologies took place in Yerevan.

2011


On September 16, the new complex of "Zvartnots" International Airport was opened.

2011


On September 20, the solemn opening ceremony of the new scientific complex of the Matenadaran was held.

2011


On September 20, “Youth” park was opened in Malatya-Sebastia administrative district.

2011


On July 7, Lyon Park has been opened as a symbol of friendship between Yerevan and Lyon. In 2010-2011 with the support of the City of Lyon, the park was completely renovated.

2011


On September 21, the 20th anniversary of the RA Independence was celebrated on which occasion a military parade was held in Republic Square.

2011


On September 21, the official city bus route "Yerevan City Tour" was launched for the first time.

2015


On January 29, Komitas Museum-Institute was opened.

2015


On April 24, the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide was celebrated.

2018


On October 07-12, the 17th Francophonie Summit was held in Yerevan.

2019


On May 10, Yerevan 2800th Anniversary Park was opened. The park is a gift from Mikayel and Karen Vardanyan on the 2800th anniversary of the foundation of Yerevan city.

2019


Diana Abgar park was put into operation after reconstruction in June 2019. It is located in the central part of Mashtots Avenue.

2019


On August 15, Square of the Republic of Argentina has been opened in Yerevan at the junction of Sayat-Nova avenue and Charents street.

2020


Like most countries in the world, Armenia, unfortunately, also could not stay away from the coronavirus pandemic.

2020


During the large-scale war unleashed by Azerbaijan in 2020, the capital of Armenia, Yerevan was turned into a rear, providing assistance to the front.

2021


In May, "Yerevan Park" was opened. "Yerevan Park" is the largest theme park in the region.

2021


Renovation of the 6th segment of Circular park in the territory of which the first skate-park was constructed and a special area was separated for dogs.

2021


Yerevan Municipality has launched a trilingual tourism platform: visityerevan.am.