YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

Card image cap

2009


On November 7, the "Cafesjian" Centre for the Arts was opened.


In 2009, American philanthropist and entrepreneur Gerard Cafesjian presented Yerevan with a massive collection of artworks from his personal art treasury, which has become the largest museum of contemporary art in the region.

The collection occupies almost all levels of Cascade Complex located under a giant staircase that connects the center of the city with its northern districts.

Right at the base of the Cascade staircase located is the Cafesjian Sculpture Garden, where the works of Lynn Chadwick, Barry Flanagan, and others, as well as three of Botero’s famous sculptures are exhibited. The monumental mural executed by the well-known Armenian painter Grigor Khanjyan – already a classic, as well as the artworks by Andy Warhol, Ji Yong-Ho, John Altoon and many others are housed within the museum building.

OTHER

1874


Yerevan's first publishing house opened. It belonged to Zahariya Gevorkyan.

1919


"Yerevan State University" was established.