YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

Card image cap

1679


On June 4, a strong earthquake completely destroyed the town. The Yerevan Fortress was destroyed completely, so were the following churches: Poghos-Petros, Katoghike, Zoravor and the Gethsemane Chapel.


OTHER

1883


The Yerevan Hotel (now "Grand Hotel Yerevan") and the photo studio and workshop of famous photographer Leon from Tbilisi, opened on Astafyevskaya (nowadays Abovyan) Street.

2ND-1ST MILLENNIA BC


Archeologists found Aghvesaberd (Fox Castle) cyclopean masonry dates back to the 2nd-1st millennia BC. Aghvesaberd is situated in Nor Nork 1st massive, not far from the Yerevan Zoo, in the Avan Gorge.