In 1986, on the right bank of the Hrazdan River which flows through the city, archeologists found Karmir Berd (Red Castle) which dates back to the 2nd millennium BC.
On 9 September 1919, the National Assembly of Armenia founded the History Museum of Armenia. The museum opened to visitors on August 20, 1921. Its first director was Yervand Lalayan.
The Children's Railroad was built in the Hrazdan Gorge.