In Yerevan the female school was opened on January 2 and named in honour to St. Hripsime.
In Yerevan the female school was opened on January 2 and named in honour to St. Hripsime. In 1884 this school became women’s pro-gymnasium and in 1898-a gymnasium. It was located in Nazarov street (present-day Amiryan street), in a cosy house survived till the 90s of the XX century. Young girls mainly from wealthy families got education here, as the fees were rather high and not available for ordinary townspeople. There is an interesting fact, that besides the birth certificate, the entrants had to show documents on being baptized, health certificates proving that they had been vaccinated against chickenpox.
Together with the main subjects (Russian, Mathematics, General History and History of Russia, French) they were also taught drawing and painting, Dancing, embroidery, hygiene and some other subjects which were not taught in male schools. The Armenian language was not included in the list of compulsory subjects and the students had to get the right for studying their mother tongue by means of complaints and strikes.