YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

Card image cap

1971


Yerevan Museum of Modern Art opened on Lenin Avenue (now Mastots avenue).


The Yerevan Museum of Modern Art was founded in 1972 by the efforts of Henrik Igityan, Yerevan Mayor G. Hasratyan and the best Armenian painters. As a specialized museum of modern art this establishment was the first not only in the former Soviet Union, but also in the whole socialist block.

The first exhibition of the museum completely consisted of the works of the Armenian artists of the 1960s granted to the museum by them. The main exhibits of the museum are the works of Minas Avetisyan, Ashot Hovhannisyan, Martin Petrosyan, Hakob Hakobyan, Gayane Khachatryan, Vruyr Galstyan, the Elibekyan brothers, Haroutioun Galentz, Rudolph Khachatryan, Ashot Bayandur and other outstanding artists.

In 2007 a new building was allocated to the museum where the works of the artists of middle and younger generation are exhibited.

OTHER

1652-1705


A wealthy Erivan resident, Khodja Grigor, installed a supply of spring water from the upper parts of the Getar River to the Old District (nowadays, the center of Abovyan Street). Vardapet Hovhannes allocated money to construct a stone bridge over the Getar River. Khodja Panos started the construction of St. Zoravar in the place of the dilapidated Anania Chapel.

1970


The Ani Hotel was opened. It is named after the medieval Armenian city of Ani, one of the historical capitals of the Armenian nation.