YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

Card image cap

1826-1828


During the 2nd Russian-Persian war of 1826-1828, in October 1827, General Paskevich captured the Erivan fortress. On February 10, 1828 an agreement was signed in the Iranian village of Turkmenchay, according to which Persia ceded the Erivan and Nakhichevan khanates to Russia Empire.


Erivan became the administrative center of the Armenian Province.

Persia also pledged to pay 20 million rubles in silver indemnity. For this, by the personal Imperial decree, General of Infantry Ivan Paskevich was elevated, with his descendants, to the dignity of the Count of the Russian Empire, named Count Paskevich-Erivansky, and received from the contribution a million rubles in bank notes.

OTHER

1924


The general plan of Yerevan was created by Alexander Tamanyan. The plan was updated in 1932.

13TH CENTURY AD


St. Astvatsatsin (Katoghike) Church was founded. A chapel was erected in the place where the remains of Saint Anania were buried in the 7th century. This is now St. Zoravor (Almighty) Church on Parpetsi Street.