The theater was founded in 1936. The founder and the first art director was Levon Kalantar.
The members of the troupe are the RA People’s artists Leyli Khachatryan, Irina Marchenko, the RA Honored artists Sergey Maghalyan, Robert Hakobyan, Fred Davtyan and others. In this theater began his artistic activity the USSR People’s artist Armen Jigarkhanyan.
Since 1965-2017 the art director of the theater was Alexandr Grigoryan.
The theater participated in many international festivals in Moscow, St Petersburg, Brest, Saransk and others and was awarded with "Grand prix" and the first prizes.
In 2009 in St Petersburg International Festival the theater won the most honored first prize.