YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

Card image cap

1958


The construction of a complex of buildings in Lenin Square (architects Alexander Tamanyan, Rafo Israelyan) and the Matenadaran repository for ancient manuscripts (architect Mark Grigoryan) which rose above Lenin Avenue (present-day Mashtots) was completed.




OTHER

1970


The Ani Hotel was opened. It is named after the medieval Armenian city of Ani, one of the historical capitals of the Armenian nation.

7TH CENTURY BC


Karmir Blur was the capital of the Transcaucasian provinces of the ancient kingdom of Urartu. The whole area was under development. Irrigation canals were dug, artificial storage ponds were created, and Teyshebayini fortress on Karmir Blur (Red Hill) was founded.