YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY
1957
Bronze monuments of Hovhannes Tumanyan and Alexander Spendiarov (sculptors Ara Sarkisyan and Ghukas Chubaryan) were erected on the Opera Square.
OTHER
1970
The Ani Hotel was opened. It is named after the medieval Armenian city of Ani, one of the historical capitals of the Armenian nation.
1906
The first line of the Yerevan horse railroad began started operating, at first along Astafyevskaya (nowadays Abovyan) Street, and later to the railway station.