SQUARES AND PARKS
English
Park is the first public park in Yerevan. It is one of the oldest green spaces
in the city. The park is located between Grigor Lusavorich, Movses Khorenatsi,
and Italy Streets.
The
park was founded in 1850 and officially opened on October 3, 1910, quickly
becoming one of the favorite recreational destinations for Yerevan residents
and visitors to the capital.
In
1898, Mayor Isaac Melik-Aghamalyan carried out major improvements in the park.
Later, the work of landscaping and development was continued by his brother,
the new mayor Hovhannes Melik-Aghamalyan. At his expense, oak trees were
brought from Russia and Poland for the park.
The
park was designed and landscaped in a European style, which is believed to be
the reason it was named “English Park.” According to some opinions, the park
received its name in honor of the foreign specialists who contributed to its
improvement. The most widely accepted version, however, is that when viewed
from above, the arrangement of its pathways resembles the flag of England.
The
park is also known as the “Theatre Park” because it is home to the Gabriel
Sundukyan National Academic Theatre.
After
the establishment of Soviet rule, English Park was transformed into a pantheon
for fallen revolutionaries. The park was renamed after the 26 Commissars, and
in everyday speech Yerevan residents shortened the name to “Komaygi.”
The
park was renovated in 1919. In 1920, the first football match in the modern
history of Armenia took place in English Park between teams from Yerevan and
Alexandropol (present-day Gyumri).
The
“Masis” restaurant once operated within the park. Today, the Embassy of France
in Armenia is located on that site.
At
the beginning of the 2000s, the park lost a significant part of its territory.
The newly constructed Italy Street cut through its northern section, isolating
part of the park, where the Yerevan 2800th Anniversary Park was later
established.