PLACES OF WORSHIP
Saint the Blessed Virgin (Katoghike church)
The church is situated in the center of the city, in Abovian Street. Katoghike was built to replace the church destroyed by the earthquake in 1679. It used to be a rectangular building, based on four pillars. The walls of the larger hall were decorated with small crossstones bearing inscriptions from 1694-1695. Due to the inscription on its western front, the church is believed to be built in 1693. The church seems to be partially survived from the 1679 earthquake. The church was to be demolished in 1936, under the supervision of the archaeologist G. Ghafadaryan, because of urban development. During the demolition, the site revealed another, much smaller church, Sourb Astvatsatsin, dating from the 8th century. The church was so beautiful that it won reprieve as a medieval monument and a decision was made to have its ruined parts rebuilt. After having its walls, roof and the dome rebuilt, the church resumed its religious function. The Language Institute after Hrachya Atcharyan, located in the church’s vicinity, was demolished for building the seat of Catholicos in Yerevan (open in 2015).