SQUARES AND PARKS

Card image cap

CHARLES AZNAVOUR SQUARE


1924–1926, 1933


State index: 1.6.178.3


The square was named in honor of the renowned French-Armenian singer, chansonnier, composer, writer, film actor, and public figure Charles Aznavour. It was opened on 21 September 2001 within the framework of the festive events dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the independence of the Republic of Armenia. Charles Aznavour also attended the official opening ceremony.

The square located near the Moscow Cinema was historically formed as a result of the development of Abovyan Street (formerly Astafyan Street). The Saint Paul and Peter Church and the Zalkhan Persian Mosque (1649) were once located here. It is one of the first squares of Yerevan and was included in the 1924 General Plan of Yerevan (architect: Alexander Tamanyan).

The square has a semi-circular composition. It was formed by two semicircular buildings: the Moscow Cinema and the Golden Tulip Grand Hotel.

In 1966, a decorative mosaic water basin was constructed in the center of the square (architect: Arsen Melikyan, artist: O. Khachatryan). On 20 November 1984, the fountain of the basin was put into operation, featuring zodiac symbols representing the 12 constellations (architect: Arsen Melikyan, artist: Vladimir Atanyan).

The architecture of the square incorporates tuff, basalt, glass, plaster, and reinforced concrete. In 1970, the buildings were faced with yellow felsite stone.


Abovyan Str.