YEREVAN CHRONOLOGY

1936


The town name Erivan, which was its Russian name, was officially replaced with Yerevan.


On August 17, 1936, the Central Executive Council of the USSR decided to replace the previously used name "Erivan" with the name "Yerevan".

OTHER

1957


Bronze monuments of Hovhannes Tumanyan and Alexander Spendiarov (sculptors Ara Sarkisyan and Ghukas Chubaryan) were erected on the Opera Square.

1879


The construction of Erivan's first town hall began, as did the construction of the city's first theatre.