PLACES OF WORSHIP
Gethsemane Chapel was situated at the centre of Yerevan in the place where the National Theatre of Opera and Ballet was constructed afterwards.
Gethsemane Chapel was situated at the centre of Yerevan in the place where the National Theatre of Opera and Ballet was constructed afterwards. The Chapel was surrounded by the Yerevan cemetery.
It is supposed that a small-size church (similar to the St. Katoghike Church) constructed in the XI-XIII centuries had been in the same place before. The earthquake destroyed the church in 1679 and the Chapel was built in the same place at the end of the XVII century. The church belonged to the single-nave, domeless and arched roof type of churches. There was a semi-circular altar without sacristies on the eastern part of the prayer-hall. The inscriptions on the cross-stones set on the walls are considered to be made in the XVII century. In 1901 the Chapel was restored with the donation of the Melik-Aghamalians. The Gethsemane Chapel was demolished in the 1920s.