SQUARES AND PARKS

Card image cap

ENGLISH PARK


1850


English Park is the first public park in Yerevan. It is one of the oldest green spaces in the city. The park is located between Grigor Lusavorich, Movses Khorenatsi, and Italy Streets.

The park was founded in 1850 and officially opened on October 3, 1910, quickly becoming one of the favorite recreational destinations for Yerevan residents and visitors to the capital.

In 1898, Mayor Isaac Melik-Aghamalyan carried out major improvements in the park. Later, the work of landscaping and development was continued by his brother, the new mayor Hovhannes Melik-Aghamalyan. At his expense, oak trees were brought from Russia and Poland for the park.

The park was designed and landscaped in a European style, which is believed to be the reason it was named “English Park.” According to some opinions, the park received its name in honor of the foreign specialists who contributed to its improvement. The most widely accepted version, however, is that when viewed from above, the arrangement of its pathways resembles the flag of England.

The park is also known as the “Theatre Park” because it is home to the Gabriel Sundukyan National Academic Theatre.

After the establishment of Soviet rule, English Park was transformed into a pantheon for fallen revolutionaries. The park was renamed after the 26 Commissars, and in everyday speech Yerevan residents shortened the name to “Komaygi.”

The park was renovated in 1919. In 1920, the first football match in the modern history of Armenia took place in English Park between teams from Yerevan and Alexandropol (present-day Gyumri).

The “Masis” restaurant once operated within the park. Today, the Embassy of France in Armenia is located on that site.

At the beginning of the 2000s, the park lost a significant part of its territory. The newly constructed Italy Street cut through its northern section, isolating part of the park, where the Yerevan 2800th Anniversary Park was later established.


Italy street
+37410 448 805